Saturday, September 10, 2011

Learning to Pickle Vegetables


I have always loved pickled vegetables, so I decided to learn how to pickle things myself that are in season at the farmer's market or from my own garden....so I did okra, green beans and green tomatoes (cherry size).

1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1 1/2 cups white vinegar
1 tablespoon pickling spice

First you need to get mason jars....boil jars and lids and then let air dry. Then wash whatever vegetable you have decided to use and place them in the dry sterile jars, I pack the veggies in there! Boil the vinegar in a saucepan. While that is boiling place the garlic and pickling spice on-top of the veggies....once the vinegar has been brought to a boil pour over veggies in mason jar. Put lids on the jars and then place the jars in a pot of boiling water, just have the pot of boil water come up about half way on the jars and then listen for the pop and that means that the jars are sealed! Enjoy!






No comments:

Post a Comment